Thursday, July 14, 2011

Photography: The Importance of the Art

For a length of time, I’ve always thought the main purpose of photography was simply to express oneself artistically.  This way of thinking has changed recently though.  While I still believe this is true, I now believe that photography is more importantly a means to capture the most beautiful, memorable, thought provoking, and emotionally captivating images.

My mood has not been that great these past couple of days; I have been in a rut of sorts.  Nostalgia and longing controlled me, and it wasn’t until I began looking at some of the beautiful pictures that I have taken that I realized the gravity of my entire situation.  I was upset about a situation that I truly should not have been distressed about.  Dwelling on a negative occurrence is not good at all, and I was doing just that.  My inability to look past one of my darkest moments was putting a toll on me, but after looking at the pictures, I realized (once again) that the most important things in life are the moments that make everything worth whatever hardships I have to endure.  Essentially, it's the beauty of the world.

Reveling in the beauty of the world is quite easy because I have captured it; I have made it my own; I have preserved it.  Perhaps I’m generally just a sentimental person, but every time I look at the photos, feelings of euphoria rush over me.  I tend to find beauty in a lot of different aspects of life.  I have pictures of people, landscape, cookies, cars, clothes, beer cans, memories and so much more, and all of these photos  provide me with joy.

This way of thinking about photography may be normal for most people; however, it is a new discovery for me.  I hope it is promising and works in the future.  I know I will most likely return to the rut that I was just in, but hopefully, my photography can help me through it again.  Perhaps my photography can also help others as well.  It is a dream of mine for others to see the beauty that exists in the world and to learn to appreciate it.  If my photography can positively affect at least one individual, I can die happily :D

-Caleb A. Deveraux

No comments:

Post a Comment