Thursday, July 21, 2011

Let's Change Lives Today

In the words of Maryanne, the extremeists Jesus freak who stars as the antagonist to the ever so charming Olive Penderghast in the film "Easy A", lets change lives today.  There's something about the prospect of helping a fellow human that makes me want to jump up and down and squeal with delight.  Even if it's in a simple way, like giving a homeless man half of my Wawa sandwich.  The feeling is gratifying.  It's... natural.  And it's exactly what Libba Bray did to me at 4 a.m on July 21st, 2011.

Last night I finished the book Going Bovine by Libba Bray.  I think it would be an understatement if I said that she is a YA goddess. Her writing is so beautiful and original- witty and strong.  It's so powerful that I was hooked by page seven and did not eat, rest, or slumber until I was done the book.  Even after I finished the book, I couldn't seem to move.  I was in awe.  I stayed in the same spot, barely managing to tweet my reaction to the goddess herself, for an hour.  Now what did I do in this hour besides give into my addiction to Twitter, you ask?  Well, I reflected of course.  My process of thinking was altered by Libba's masterpiece.  In a sense, she attacked my brain cells in a similar way that the condition the protagonist of Going Bovine had attacked his.  While I was left still healthy with no hallucinations, I went through a metamorphosis, stimulated by Libba's awesomeness, that turned me into the person I've always wanted to be.  For years, I have been attempting to live a joyous and optimistic life.  It was a daily struggle, and effort was always needed.  Now that I'm a sparkling butterfly though, I no longer need to put in that effort!  As I join in on my own thought parade and observe all of my thoughts, I can see that the evil that was once laced around each of them has disappeared.  I can feel the silver lining of the universe wrapping itself around me, forming a cloak that glows and radiates love and happiness (Oh my, I just sounded like a hippy -_-).  'Tis my Cloak of Giggliness.

Now, how could a book possibly do this to me in an hours time?  What subliminal message did I interpret from the journey of two adolescent boys that was etched in the form of a NY Times Best Seller? Two words: live life.  There is nothing more important than living life.  Having fun, making friends, meeting new people, falling in Looooooove.  It's all necessary.  It's all important.  TRYING to be optimistic used to inhibit my ability to truly live.  I often focused more on trying to get over something horrendous than actually doing it.  No longer will I be hindered by these inhibitions though.  Because of the tragic, yet inspiring and completely "nuclear", journey of young Cameron Smith, my perspective on life has been altered- which subsequently allowed my thought process and personality to form anew as well.  The darkness that once coated my life has been expelled, and now, nothing but a pure bright light of happiness and bliss remains in it's place, begging for me to live life.  For, for every awesome experience I have, there are a thousand more waiting to occur, and life is wayyyyy too short to stress about the negative.  Who knows when I'll slip away into that in-between place that processes your soul and reincarnates it as a flower, rock, or cockroach.

So, as Libba Bray has changed my life, I tend to attempt to do the same for every being I encounter.  It is a personal mission, and I shall do it to the DEATH!

No comments:

Post a Comment